Kashmiri Pink Tea, famously known as Nun Chai is the most popular tea served in Kashmir. It is known for its salty taste and distinctive flavor. Breakfast in Kashmir is incomplete without Nun Chai. It is served two times a day, usually in breakfast and in the evening with Kashmiri bread. In Kashmir, whenever one is having a headache or low blood pressure, the elders advise him to have the Kashmiri Pink Tea.
Kashmiri weddings are also incomplete without it. The Kashmiri Chef, known as Waza prepares the most delicious Kashmiri Pink Tea.
Kashmiri Tea leaves (or Green Tea Leaves), Water, Baking Soda, Milk, Cinnamon Stick (optional), Green Cardamoms(optional), Butter (optional).
1. Take 2 cups of water in a pan and place it on the gas.
2. Add one cinnamon stick and 2-3 green cardamoms to it for a nice aroma.
3. Put two tbsp of Kashmiri Tea leaves into it and then add ¼ tsp of baking soda into it.
4. Mix well and let it boil on medium flame until it reduces to ¼ cup of its quantity.
5. Add two cups of water and let that evaporate as well.
6. Repeat this process 2-3 times and until it becomes deep reddish in color.
7. Strain the tea and store it in a jug.
8. Take 3 cups of milk and let it boil.
9. Add 1 cup of this strained tea to the milk.
10. Add salt as per your liking and you can put 1 tsp of butter into it.
11. Your Kashmiri Pink Tea is ready.